Monday, February 9, 2009

Uncle John

I saw Uncle John last Saturday. I love Uncle John. Why? I don't know - except that he is my uncle. My mother's younger brother. He and Aunt D. had 6 kids - a huge family in my mind when I was younger. He owned an apple orchard and we always went down to get apples and visit. Uncle J. is a tiny man and he reminds me a magical little elf. Aunt D. made the best home-made caramel apples ever! But I never stayed all night with my cousins. I never had a "special" relationship with Uncle J. He never gave me any special bits of wisdom. I don't know what his favorite color is (although I would guess red!) or his favorite food. I have never even been to his current home! But - he loved my mother and he really misses her and he has the same macular degeneration eye disease that my mom had so he doesn't see well and I always have to tell him who I am. And when I see him look at me with those clear bright eyes that aren't seeing very well - I see my mom and we both have something very precious in common.

My brother has been wanting to get together with Uncle J. and listen to Uncle J. talk about his war experiences. I have heard there are some really interesting stories. I don't think I have ever know a more gentle man - it's hard to imagine him having war stories.

Sometimes it's nice to be loved or to love - just because.

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

I was doing pretty good Saturday until I saw Uncle John - he looks SO much like Grandma!

If you & G go see him, try & tape it or something, will you? Those would be good for a lot of us to hear. No pressure there or anything. : ]