Friday, November 16, 2007

The Turkey is coming!!!

Well - Thanksgiving Week is almost here! We were just going to stay home and re-coup from the past 6 weeks but have decided to go to my brothers house. My two sisters will be there also. I'm glad we will all be together. Memories and stories will be plentiful! I'm going to fix my mom's stuffing. I am so glad that I had her teach me how to make it! There is no recipe - but it sure is yummy!! My brother will probably fix Mom's scalloped oysters. That is another dish that Mom always fixed and taught us how to make - "don't get the crackers too moist"!!

When I was little, I can remember my Aunt D. coming out the night before Thanksgiving to help get everything ready. It was such a big deal! They would spend hours making batch after batch of stuffing, getting the tables set, getting the turkey ready and it would go in the oven in the middle of the night and cook for hours and fill the house with the BEST smell! All of us kids sat at the "kid" table - I think you had to get married to get promoted to the adult table!

What fun and what beautiful memories! That is probably why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. We get together just because we want to - we love each other - and I am so thankful for my life.

The last couple of years, we have rented a house at Lakeside for Thanksgiving week and just taken off and had a great, quiet, fun week in a house by the lake. It is becoming a tradition that my kids and grandkids will remember. We play games, watch movies, fish off the dock, take walks, bake cookies, take naps and get some Christmas shopping done. It doesn't matter there if we eat off of mismatched plates or drink wine out of paper cups! That's the magic of it!

So - the next few days will be spent making lists, buying groceries, getting the cards and games ready to go to G's, talking with my sisters and sister-in-law and daughter about what everyone is fixing, sending flowers to my son and daughter-in-law for their Thanksgiving Feast with S's family, & cleaning the house (notice that is last on my list!).

Mom - we will miss you this Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Sara T. said...

To MY mmama:

I'm thankful for you. And thanks for making me cry this morning :)

love you.