Monday, February 25, 2008

It's Winter in Plum Creek!

Sunday, Feb. 4, 1917:
Blizzard - snow, wind. Stayed in all day. Read nearly all day. Mildred called this evening to know if Paul was coming - it was such an awful night. He came in his big fur coat, cap and gloves. Boys would not go to bed.

Monday, Feb. 5, 1917:
Terribly cold & no gas so stayed at home all day.
Turned hem in silk dress. Crocheted edge on nightgown. Went down to store this evening.
Paul called about 6-30.

Tuesday, Feb. 6, 1917:
School this morning but horribly cold. Tank froze and then leaking. My milk bottle burst on stove. Plenty of gas gas this evening. Gladhart girls and Miss McKinstry came over. Paul came too. Played and sang - had nice evening.

Wednesday, Feb. 7, 1917:
Warmer, tiring day. Gave several tests at school.
Bought game of checkers and rook. I hope Paul will teach me to play. He did not call tonight. I sat crocheting all evening till my eyes are tired.

Thursday, Feb.8, 1917:
Dull day - late for school this morning.
Gave test in agriculture. Snowing again.
O I wish Paul would take me to a dance tonight. I am dying to see him again. We have a club meeting tonight. Had good time at club but late getting home.

Friday, Feb. 9, 1917:
Feeling tired but worked hard. Paul called this evening. Went to teachers meeting.
Paul met me coming out. Delightful quiet evening.

Saturday, Feb. 10, 1917:
Went to store, shopping, sewing all afternoon. Went to take supper. Bought bath rug. Made curtain and sewed fringe on carpet.
Called Paul and asked him to go to church in the morning.

Sunday, Feb. 11, 1917:
Up early cooking. I took bath. Met Paul at church. Sermon was "1417 R Please" The line is busy. Went to dinner. Learned to play checkers & rook. Paul stayed, supper and then O-wonderful, we talked over the topic nearest to our hearts - - I named the month.

Monday, Feb. 12, 1917:
Cold - 1 below zero. No gas hardly. Went straight home. Went to teachers meeting & almost froze to death. Thank heaven I don't have to go to summer school but I suppose Pregel will expect me to. Horribly tired & sleepy.

Tuesday, Feb. 13, 1917:
Still cold. Getting ready for night program & I wish it was over. Paul came down tonight & played checkers with Jack. Then we went to Marion to see "Civilization" - - a war picture.
He told me to call at store tomorrow evening. I wonder what for?

Wednesday, Feb. 14, 1917:
Valentines Day and I am very curious. Children had Valentine box. Paul gave me his picture and a card & also sent a bouquet of violets and roses. O Paul but you are wonderful. The picture is where I can see him on awaking & going to sleep - - on my dresser.

Thursday, Feb. 15, 1917:
Feeling happy in Paul's love. Took children to see Health exhibit in Oddfellows Temple. Paul called and asked to come down. Went to show & then came home. Paul awfully sad because I had not sent him a message. I feel convicted but I gave him a rose with my heart.

No comments: