Monday, January 14, 2008

Dorothy's Diary: 1/7 thru 1/14 1917

Sunday, Jan. 7, 1917:
Beautiful sunny morning but not feeling well - results of work yesterday. Packed books, made outline of school work for Grace. Paul called up and drove down later and then we went to Grace's. Had nice evening. Out last evening at Aunties.

Monday, Jan.8, 1917:
Up early packing. Auntie mad. Went to house and I certainly worked harder that for many a day. Well our house is practically straight and looks livable. I wish Paul could see it. Our new dining room furniture came.

Tuesday, Jan 9, 1917:
Rainy turning to snow. Damp and dull all day. I felt tired and worn today but was anzious to get home. Fixed curtains and pictures downstairs, tried piano and it sounds twice as well now. I never appreciated home so much as I do now.

Wed., Jan. 10, 1917:
Dull and damp - O I wish the day was over for Paul should come tonight.
Ivor, Morrison Ferdinand fighting.
Paul came about 7-15. He could not get used to the house. He called it our house warming. I wish he would talk more. I wonder if he regrets asking me the one thing of life.

Thursday, Jan. 11, 1917:
Paul said last night - H.G. told him I was engaged to G. Thank heaven I never was. Heistand at school and gave spelling survey. Father eas sick with bad cold. Cold night. Read Riley for awhile. I wish telephone was in so I could talk to Paul...

Fri., Jan. 12, 1917:
Zero weather. Could not get fire at school till late. Feeling tired.
Paul came down early before I was dressed. Went to 1st show at Marion "A Woman Alone".
George on car and Paul noticed him cross overl Well, I am glad he did not win me over. I had to slip my hand in Paul's during show. I wonder what he thought.

Sat. Jan. 13, 1917:
Cold and Snowing. Put up curtains to all windows. Stained hall floor and my bedroom. Went to town about 3:30, bought felt for table etc. Found package of Posts from Paul at store. Went to town again about 8 o'clock. Paul called but I was out. Then I had nerve enought to call him. Regular blizzard for mother and I to come home in.

Sun., Jan. 14, 1917:
8 below zero and piles of drifted snow. Stayed home all day for weather was awful.. Paul came about 7-15. He seemed awfully quiet and I again asked him why he did not talk to mother. O Paul if only I can live up to your ideals for no other has such.

2 comments:

Luke and Valerie said...

Loving This!!!
Keep it coming!

Leigh Ann said...

What a cool idea!! Mom just filled me in. Love it!